Exponential purchase power

Date of publication: January 30, 2005

Author: Rachel Carey

Abstract:

This paper explores how changes in our social and cultural perception of brands, advertising and marketing, in addition to lifestyle shifts, have lead to the growing power and value of word of mouth in consumers' decision making process. Research conducted by NOP World in the area of Influentials- the most valuable word of mouth communicators-is presented. The Influentials are the 10% of the population that influences the behaviours, thoughts and decisions of the other 90%. The concept is explored through descriptions of adult Influentials in the United Kingdom and United States, Global Influentials and Teen and Tween Influentials. Finally ideas are unveiled about how marketers can maximise their marketing spend by marketing directly to Influentials.

  • PDF
  • This could also be of interest